The CFA Institute Research Challenge is an annual global competition that provides university students with hands-on mentoring and intensive training in financial analysis and professional ethics. Each student will be tested on their analytical, valuation, report writing, and presentation skills. They gain real-world experience as they assume the role of a research analyst.
How It Works
Local CFA® Societies work with universities to assemble teams of three to five undergraduate and/or graduate students. Teams research and analyze a designated publicly traded company; prepare a written report on that company that supports a buy, sell, or hold recommendation; receive advice and support from a faculty advisor and an industry mentor; and present and defend their findings to a panel of industry experts. Winners from the local competitions advance to sub-regional competitions, then on to regional competitions in the Americas, Asia, and Europe, culminating in a global final.
Benefits of Participation
- Showcase your university on a global scale
- Augment classroom learning
- Provide career opportunities for students
- Give students practical training equity research and exposure to industry experts
- Network with professionals, peers from other universities, and others in the community
- Elevate your school’s reputation and standing against competing schools
- First step in the path towards becoming a charterholder
Who is eligible to compete?
Both undergraduate and graduate students that have not previously competed.
When is the Challenge?
Locally hosted Challenges are held September – February of each year. Sub-Regional, Regional, and Global competitions follow in the months after.
How is the Research Challenge different from a “stock picking” competition?
Students conduct in-depth analysis on a single company and produce a full equity research report. The winning team is chosen based on the thoroughness of its analysis and knowledge of one company, rather than whether their predictions of the stock price are correct.
How can I get involved?
You can organize a team to represent your university. Promote the event to your students and field your best team and then prepare them to compete. There are also opportunities to serve as a faculty advisor, presentation judge, report grader, and more.
After you have organized your team, please be sure to email Education@cfany.org or click below to register your team with CFA Society New York.
Past University Participants
Baruch College, CUNY
College of Staten Island, CUNY
Long Island University
Medgar Evers College, CUNY
New Jersey Institute of Technology
New York University
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Saint Peter’s University
Seton Hall University
St. John’s University
Stony Brook University
The College of New Jersey
The King’s College
University at Albany, SUNY
Schedule of Events 2022 – 2023 Competition
Why Get Involved?
Volunteers are essential to the success of the Research Challenge. Please consider one of these roles:
- Faculty Advisor: Typically employed by the team’s university, a faculty advisor provides guidance and direction to the team throughout all levels of competition.
- Report Grader:Selected by the local host, report graders evaluate the team’s written reports.
- Hosts include the CFA Institute Member Society, CFA Institute, or CFA Institute approved third-party responsible for sponsoring either the local level, sub-regional level, regional level, or global level of the Research Challenge.
- Industry Mentor: These industry professionals, preferably CFA charterholders, are assigned to the team by the local host to review the team’s written report and provide critique of their presentation.
University teams consist of three to five undergraduate or graduate students that produce the written report and the presentation. To participate in the Research Challenge:
- Confirm your eligibility
- Find out if your university participates
- Follow up with a faculty advisor
Learn more about eligibility requirements and student participation
Kaplan Schweser University Offerings
Kaplan has been involved in education since 1938, and our partnerships help both students and universities succeed. We empower students to gain a competitive edge by providing the resources they need to start and advance their careers. Our university partnerships allow schools to add value to their current curricula and help meet the demands of students preparing for their professional lives.
Whether you are looking to offer an on campus course for your students, or you are sitting for an exam yourself, Schweser has you covered. Learn how we can provide structure, resources, and support for your university review program, including discounted materials for yourself and your students.
Have you considered your next step after college? Whether you are thinking about continuing your education with professional designations, such as the CFA® charter, or still trying to find the right career path, we have the resources you need, with your budget in mind.
University students are eligible to receive a 15% discount on CFA®, CAIA®, and FRM® exam prep materials.