Wait! A Note on Registration:
We’ve launched Cvent—our new events platform!
Registration for any event with a start date after Sept. 28 now requires a CFA Institute account.
I don’t have a CFA Institute account
- No problem! You’ll have the chance to create one prior to registration.
I already have a CFA Institute account
- Great! Be sure to use your existing credentials at registration.
Scenario analysis is one of the most useful tools for incorporating climate change-related risks and opportunities into the investment process. It enables a company’s management, analysts and investors to envision a number of different possible outcomes and test the sensitivity of returns to a number of prominent risk factors.
For many, using scenario analysis and net zero strategy is not well understood. However, over the past few years, we have heard a lot about using scenario analysis in investment decision-making, particularly in light of the climate risk that many investors face. Such steps have been highlighted in the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosure (TCFD) and more recently by the Canadian Expert Panel on Sustainable Finance. A number of companies have committed to net-zero strategies and have developed climate scenarios assuming different levels of rise in average global temperature by 2050.
Reasons to attend:
- Get to know the Climate Scenario Analysis from experts.
- Learn how to approach scenario analysis.
Maria Maisuradze, CFA, Co-Creator, Project Manager, Sustainability Ecosystem, Concordia University
Tessa Hebb, Distinguished Research Fellow, Carleton Centre for Community Innovation
Adam Phillips, Co-Chair Sustainable Investing Thought Leadership Group, CFA Society New York
Peter Ellsworth, Senior Director, Investor Programs, Ceres
Jeff Burleson, Senior Vice President, Environmental & System Planning, Southern Company
- Why it is important for a capital market participant including asset owner, investment manager, company; both from risk and opportunity perspective
- What are possible market scenarios under certain temperature conditions
- Who should do it within an organization (which part of organization usually leads this – strategy, risk professionals)
- What sectors have the most risk and opportunities and impacts to the scenario outcomes
- Challenges, misconceptions, how do investors approach scenario analysis. Explanation on what is Net-Zero Strategy.
- Presentation of the Southern Company’s scenario analysis and net-zero strategy